Sunday, August 22, 2010

It's all gotta valance!

Window treatment options for the office.... the quest to find the right valance!

1. An interesting alternative than something structured.
--> Could be cool with nicer fabric, and maybe glamorous knobs!? I'm sure one of those artsy shops in the beaches would have fun knobs, I think AR may have dragged me into a shop like that!




2. <-- A very solid looking valance. The valance isn't that bad actually! It would be easy to construct myself and it would cover the whole window. BONUS! My only reservation is the board... it may be too solid, considering I am using a very linear stripe fabric. As a result there wouldn't be any movement or flow over the window. But perhaps I could soften it with some batting underneath and even add silver studs or attractive covered buttons around the perimeter to add a little interest. yes? no?

Cool, The lime green in the room is actually the colour of the accessories I have for the room!

Tip 1. Notice the placement of the valance, it actually touches the ceiling, giving height to a smaller room by bringing the eye up.




3. This is awesome! I actually have this fabric from Ikea! I like how it is simple and not too fussy. Too bad the image is SO SMALL! But you get the idea.
It is basically a Roman Shade. Except for my room, I don't want it on the interior of the window, I would want it to span over the entire window frame.

Concerns: The window is 8 feet long, will this option cover such a large space!? Probably not.. And will it add height to the room like option #2? Probably not.... :(

Notice the colours in the space, orange seems to jump out at you.
The contrast between the gray and white on the walls and cabinetry and the orange create a beautiful contrast throughout the room.
Just little hints in the stripe and small details around the room deliver a large impact and stimulates the eye! Try it!





Can you believe it? These are the only "acceptable" valances that I've been able to come up with.
I've searched high and low for decent examples! I knew valances weren't the most popular window treatment... But come on!

Perhaps you're wondering why I would even want a valance!? So let me explain that a valance is the only kind of window treatment I can squeeze onto the window wall! There is a bookshelf nudged right against the window, as well as the desk. Tight quarters remember!
A pop of colour is desperately needed on that wall!

Tip 2. Every room should have a focal point that draws your eye to a place in the room. You can create a focal point by using contrast, via colour, movement, and texture.

At this point I'm leaning towards option number 2, only because it would be a great DIY project. Simple to construct and easy to mount. I can spice it up with accessories if needed. As well as elongate the room!

Comments are welcome!

The good news is, if I can't do the valance myself I already have a lady lined up to make it for me. -phewsh!


These are the other valance options.... Perhaps I'll hold off, and use these in another house all together. YIKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment